When you choose running for weight loss, plenty of questions could arise about how you could do this particular activity. Because just running as if you are trying to save your life from a chasing lion will not give you desired results if you intend to lose weight.
Therefore, this post will be dedicated to everyone who needs information on how long-running could help you lose weight. There are things that you should consider when doing long-running for weight loss. So, read this article further to know everything you were looking for on long-running.
How Does A Long Run Affect Your Weight Loss Journey?
As you already know, running is a fantastic way to be fit and shed those extra pounds you’ve been worrying about. Long runs are more extended versions of base runs. They are done simultaneously but over a considerable distance of about 10–12 miles (15–20 km). They support improving your overall fitness, endurance, and stamina. Out of the multiple types of runs people do, long runs also show an impact to help an individual in their weight loss journey. A long run is actually fun and gives your body less fatigue while keeping you engaged with nature.
Generally, long-running is done at an easy pace. But, when you master this activity, you can gradually increase the intensity of running. However, according to the expert trainers, interval training and hill repeats are considered to be the best effective running methods for weight loss. But always keep in mind that the more you run, the more you lose weight. Therefore, long-running do has an impact on your weight loss journey.
How Much Do You Have To Run To Lose Weight?
According to the data revealed by the studies conducted, you should generally spend about 30 minutes a day running. If you are in good health, you can increase it gradually for more results. This is because running 40-60 minutes or higher will support the body to burn calories at a higher rate. However, It would help if you began running three times a week and then expanded the amount to four or five times a week. According to university research, the specialists suggest that running for 2.5 hours per week will promote longevity. One of the most important facts that you should keep in mind is that the rest is a crucial element for your body. Therefore, make sure to arrange resting sessions between your running schedule to enable your muscles and body to recover.
What’s The Best Time To Do A Long Run?
Different studies that have been conducted over the years have shown different results to this question. In fact, going for a long run in the morning, mid to late afternoon, or evening can have its own pros and cons. However, most studies suggest that training benefits are maximized when your body temperature is at its peak. That could be mostly between 4 pm to 5 pm. Also, some studies have shown that running in the morning on an empty stomach will help burn calories quickly. On top of everything, the time of the day you choose to run will be your decision according to your schedule. Besides, your body should be ready to accomplish the training you give, so pick the most favorable time.
Things You Should Consider Before Going On A Long Run
If you are either a newbie who is willing to try long-running or someone who has already started trying long-running, there are facts you should consider before going on a long run. Ticking your checklist is essential before starting anything, and that applies to your long-running activity too. Moreover, checking these things and preparing yourself will help you reap the best results out of your run while boosting your productivity.
- Check on your health – This is necessary because it is crucial that you listen to your body closely no matter what. Therefore, if you are someone who’s under medication for some sort of a sickness, a recovering person, or feeling unwell, you should be concerned before going for a long run. However, when you are in doubt, the best thing is to seek advice from your healthcare provider.
- Decide your mileage – Before starting your run, decide how many miles you plan to cover in a day. This totally depends on your choice and the amount of time you hope to allocate to training. As per experts, if you are a beginner, you could start with lower mileage and then gradually increase running duration, mileage, and intensity.
- Choose the neighborhood or area for your run – This factor may seem insignificant. But, it does matter when you go on a long run. The cleanliness, trail quality, neighborhood, and the location of the area you choose to run will negatively affect the productivity of your activity if they are not favorable enough. Therefore, pick an area or a neighborhood that is pleasant and convenient for your run.
- Make checking the weather a priority – If the weather obstructs your run, you will probably have to quit halfway. So, keep in mind to check the climate in your area you choose to go on the run before stepping out. Just dodge the bad weather days and find days that you could make it happen until the end.
- Choosing shoes – Remember that you are planning to run long. Thus, it would be best if you literally had a good pair of running shoes. We meant by a good pair here that the pair of shoes you pick should not be the most expensive one out in the store. Yet, it should fit you perfectly and should be comfortable enough not to cause any running injuries. So, investing in good shoes is never a waste. Try to buy a pair that is light-weighted or cushioned and one with a reflective surface. Also, wear running socks to prevent blisters that can be caused by running.
- Be thoughtful with clothing – Always consider choosing light-weighted, reflective clothing that comfortably moves with your body. Too loose or tight clothing will only bring you discomfort. So, when you visit the store to buy running clothing, choose outfits woven with a mixture of fabrics like polyester, wool, and nylon. These blends will ease the vents to increase breathability and make them comfortable during warm or cold weather. In addition, women should pick a good supportive bra to wear while running.
- Do not forget your sunscreen – Applying sunscreen is important no matter how long or how much you run. As you sweat a lot during running, choosing a broad-spectrum water-based sunscreen of at least SPF 30 will be best for you. You could also wear a hat or a visor to prevent sunscreen from running into your eyes. To avoid eye damage, you can also invest in a pair of UV-blocking sunglasses. All these things will lower the risk of causing skin cancer when you get yourself exposed to the sun.
- Carry your water always – Staying hydrated while you run is crucial. So, if you do not find drinking water supplies on your way, it is important that you carry your own water. Hence, a running water bottle and a carrier might be handy enough to do the job.
- Other running gear – Running gear is optional, and you are free to pick what is necessary for you. But, we thought of giving you some ideas about things you might feel are needed to carry while you go on your long run. For example, you can wear a running belt that will help you take a face towel or tissues, cash, your ID, or even the keys. In addition, wearing a sports watch is also a smart choice while you run. A sports watch will help you to track the route and monitor your speed while running. Some sports watches could even trace your heart rate. And, if you want to carry your mobile phone with you and find it troublesome to carry in hand, you could go for pocket gears or an armband carrier.
- Incorporating one or more running companions – Your running companion shouldn’t only be your human friend/friends or neighbor. Your four-legged bestie also could accompany you in your regular long-running session. This will make your running time more engaging and enthusiastic. Ensure that you maintain proper distance with your companion. And, if you are taking your pet with you, make sure you take him on the right track, closer to you.
Important – If you need to keep yourself entertained with music while you run, it is completely fine if you are safe with it. Keep in mind not to tune out the atmosphere around you entirely. Keep the volume down to hear everything that happens around you.
So you see, long-running can be an effective and fun way to lose weight when planning and to prepare everything properly. It might not be as effective as interval training that directly affects weight loss. But still, running a long way will help you burn calories and shed those pesky pounds. On that note, we hope you learned how beneficial long-running for weight loss could be. So don’t forget to share your precious ideas in a comment below.
Sources and References
Department of Health, State Government of Victoria, Australia
Harvard Health Publishing (HHP)
Mayo Clinic Health System